Millia was one of my first cosplays. I did her at the end of high school, and I’m currently reworking her for Megacon. There are a lot of amateur mistakes I wanted to address before I retire her original outfit, but overall I’m pretty pleased with it.
The dress is a man’s shirt. I cut the sleeves off and took the sides of the shirt in. When you do that, it makes the arm holes smaller, which let me reattached the sleeve with folds to make it poof. I took the bottom half of the sleeve off and attached it inside the shirt, faking the layered look. From behind it’s pretty obvious that this is a shirt I modified. The new arm holes were too small for my guns so we have some elastic holding it together.
The collar was made by attaching the spare side fabric to the collar of the shirt. It worked well (the collar that came with the shirt was nice and stiff, and stood up really well). Sadly I didn’t realize how big my head was/is. My new dress will have a way bigger collar. Additionally, all those loose threads! I now take the time to trim my threads.
Buckles are a pain in the butt. These aren’t buckles. They’re tiny picture frames I broke apart and ran leather through. Since then my buckle making game has really stepped up, but I’m so proud of baby me figuring out this workaround. The sewing, however, is really sloppy and you can see the awkward way it pulls on the top of the dress.
Now for some fun pics :)